blank'/> I'm lovin' it!: More than work–life balance

Monday, September 15, 2014

More than work–life balance



I used to think like the above too. {Good grades. Social life. Enough Sleep. Choose two.}

When I just started my part-time studies, I was so naive and really thought that I could give up on exercising. Work + studies + sleep... Seriously, no enough time for all that. A social life is just mission impossible. 

Then something unfortunate happened, around 2 years ago, I fell down on my cycling trip at Pulau Ubin. (Which was really like WTF!!!!!! My aunties and family thought that it was really funny, because I started cycling from a very young age when I was in primary school. And we did not just cycle in the parks. We were cycling on the road to the reservoir or on food hunt (from Thomson to Paya Lebar and back. My stamina was no good and I was not a sporty person. But I started cycling since young.) 

The fell was rather bad but I did not realise it. Actually, I still cycled back to the Pulau Ubin jetty and took the ferry back to Changi Point Ferry Terminal and even had Pepper Lunch for dinner. I only started to feel the pain when I waited very long at the A &E and that led to surgery and that time the doctors were expecting worst case scenario for my injury, that I would be bedridden in a cast for 2-3 months. Luckily, it was a slight partial patellar tendon tear and the hospital stay was just three days. And three days were enough!




Tendons attach muscles to bones. The patellar tendon attaches the bottom of the kneecap (patella) to the top of the shinbone (tibia). It is actually a ligament that connects to two different bones, the patella and the tibia.

The patella is attached to the quadriceps muscles by the quadriceps tendon. Working together, the quadriceps muscles, quadriceps tendon and patellar tendon straighten the knee.

Partial tears. Many tears do not completely disrupt the soft tissue. This is similar to a rope stretched so far that some of the fibers are torn, but the rope is still in one piece. (NOTE: As we only have one such patellar tendon on each leg, it is going to take a while for the body to build it back.)

However, my leg was locked in the knee brace. So there was no range of motion on for right leg for 4-6 weeks. After which, the physiotherapist slowly unlocked it. Anyway, long story short. My whole physiotherapy session lasted 6 months. Many patients have reported that they required 12 months before they reached all their goals.

Initially, I was really worried about my scarring. It turned out really good. I can hardly see my scar now. I have ditched my love for 4 inch heels and turned to flats. And that period 6 months or longer was probably the hardest phase in my life. Something as basic as walking or even climbing up and down the stairs, I had to learn all over again. It was not easy at all. 

And it was when you were at the lowest point in your life, then you noticed how real people actually were. I heard people saying, "Really or not? She still cannot walk?!??? But she has taken very long hospitalisation leave already. Is she faking it?" "Don't know how to cycle then don't go cycle." "Got so exaggerated or not? You sure she still can't walk?" "Cripple/ lame leg." Something along this line. Of course, there are many nice people who were genuinely concerned and cared about me.

Work + studies + sleep + physiotherapy + exercising = loads of pain and struggles. See... I cannot give up on exercising. Back then, my ex colleagues would exercise regularly with me. Despite studying 3 days a week on top of work, we still hit the gym 1-2 times a week and once a week physiotherapy session (which slowly spaced out over the 6 months physiotherapy session). Really HUAT ahhhhh!!!


Anyway, I quit my job shortly (more than six months from the fall). The fall was the indication to get out of my comfort zone. And I literally pushed myself to study and I was totally burnt out. And I was very unhappy with my life.

Then I took time to travel. I hardly travel once I started working and studying part-time. And I just realised that I do LOVE to travel. I feel recharged. I love new experience.

Work + study + sleep + social life. In life, you cannot really give up on anything that you love and enjoy. When work + study + stress take a toll on you, friends + exercise + travel help tremendously. 

As I am really bad with my time management and I love my sleep, life is already a struggle!!! Age is catching up. So low energy, all the negative vibes and everything bad and uncertain. I have been living in my past and in my fears. Time to let go... I hope that I can find back myself, unleash the power, conquer my hidden fears and challenges in my life with all the courage and strength from within.

Lastly, the most important thing is I cannot give up on anything that I love in life. A reminder to myself.

Links:
http://9gag.com/gag/aqmWrxp?ref=fbp
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00512

No comments: